Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Aesthetic Anaesthetist

I listened on Friday to somebody called “Drake’ stating that a comprehensive plan to arrest all corrupt global bankers and political elite existed, and was being put into action (2012-03-29). Although he wasn't quite sure if it's implementer was the American military, NATO or Disney. Frankly what I got from the interview, really, was his belief that the use of toilet paper made us civilized.

Now centrally located between a million rubbish TV channels and the insidious trap of being permanently on-line. I have put myself through the boredom of listening to this for three hours.


You have to be a certain age to remember actually waiting patiently for the next TV programme to start. Between the school's programmes and just before the News but after a test card, being bored because the telly was rubbish was part of my day, if you don't remember the pre-channel hopping world; you can't help but feeling a little nostalgic for. Although I am getting concerned that boredom now ,is a sleeping bag with no zip. 

We all seem to be staring at a cultural dog’s breakfast. Everybody’s ideas are already concerned with nostalgia to the exclusion of everything else. The wistfull toothpaste tube is squeezed out every day to find a solution for the future, extending that nostalgia even to last week.

As human beings we have a maximum aural range that begins at 12Hz to 20,000Hz, the human eye has limits to its vision, the human tongue has approx, 10.000 taste buds and our olfactory range is limited. 

Even our brain is limited in size, allowing us to experience only these parameters:
  • ·         11 Foods Groups, 5 Basic Tastes.
  • ·         7 Colours in the Spectrum,14 basic Pantone Colours.
  • ·         7 Basic musical notes.
  • ·         750,000 Probable English words.
  • ·         7 Basic Human story plots.
Or if you like 
  • ·         80000 Chinese characters.
All of this is limiting, so we are close to looking into an abyss , but in this case the abyss is the sum of every human experience sent to you via Google. We are drowning in this data feed during our strange love affair with the difference engine.
With a cure close to Altzheimers maybe a drug can be created to treat these cognitive symptoms, memory problems could disappear with the application of this drug so that last week’s cultural life can be taken again. As at this moment, all I see is stuff I have seen before. All what I hear I have heard before.

I usually try to walk a line between a toddler and a conceptual artist but we have got to a point where the regurgitation of cultural output is all that is available.

I except that I am the sum of somebody else’s ideas, but sometimes I see my artistic job, is to mix and mash, where mixing hasn’t occurred before. But even that becoming a strain.

With 21st Century Technology. Sensors are now able to record all of my bodies movements, cameras can record all what I see and recording equipment can listen to my day , People of the future will have J.G Ballards prediction waiting for them .

Fear of the Future J.G Ballard
I would sum up my fear about the future in one word: Boring. And that's my one fear:. That everything has happened; nothing exciting or new or interesting is ever going to happen again... the future is just going to be a vast, conforming suburb of the soul.

You have to question the Gorgons stare, when staring at a portal has the option of experiencing somebody else life, Its anaesthetising the us all.We could all become Buddhist.  

But let’s arrest 10,000 people across the globe in one go, that’s never been done before.Culturally it'll be great 

No comments:

Post a Comment