Monday 4 June 2012

The Pyre

Artists reference their lives all the time, Maybe it’s a desire to return to the past or getting trapped by an organising principle.

Being the manager of my own life and not wanting to let the inner Artist out without a purpose. I had an Art Pyre at the weekend.

After being ill for 8 months, turning 44 and now having to wear glasses for the first time in my life, a burning seemed appropriate.

Metaphorically my scribbles seem to take up more space than they should. But the catalyst was talking to a UK street artist who had just sold $50,000 of work.  

I had also noticed in Melbourne a candlelight vidual for a ‘Banksy’ It turned out that some people believed that a Chapel Street wall painted by somebody from Bristol in the UK to be of some supposed Australian cultural merit.

Every work created with a street artist seems to reference a screen printed 'Warhol’, he did it first.It’s really like trying to be the ‘Sex Pistols’ why bother.(yes I know its stencil Art, but the same principle applies)

While in London earlier this year I saw a ‘Grayson Perry’ installation. His new works alongside objects made by unknown men and women from the British Museum’s collection.

It wasn’t perfect screen prints or past ups but people having a decent stab at craft. Coming up with incredible beautiful but wonky objects.

Street and Non Street artists go through the same process it’s just that Graffiti art is just a bit me too at the moment, Makes me want to burn all my stuff. Oh I just did.....

No comments:

Post a Comment